Thursday, December 1, 2011

My Red Hunting Hat

         In the novel, The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, Holden Caulfield, is a very pessimistic person in my opinion. On page 22, he says, "This is a people shooting hat...I shoot people in this hat." This tells us that Holden tries to look for faults in people, instead of the good things. Holden wears his red hunting hat to shoot down phonies.
          However, my hunting is completely the opposite of Holden's except for one occasion. I wear my hunting hat to find all the good things someone has to offer. When Holden wears his hunting hat his priority is to find phonies, however, when I wear my hat, I look for someones humor, happiness, and confidence. Now, the one exception. I truly believe that it is our human nature to not necessarily try to find people who are fake but when we come across someone who we think is a phony, we tend to stay away from those people. I think our mind subconsciously tries to find people who we can trust, and when we come across a phony we avoid those people. Holden's mind is a more intense version of this. His mind only tries to find the flaws in people and maybe that is why he isn't such a happy or cheerful person. 
          In Holden's case, I think that the phrase "the red hunting hat" fits in perfectly. I believe though that for my hat, that would not be a good description. If there was such a thing like a "seeking hat" that would explain it better. I don't try to shoot and find all the negative things in people, I try to seek for the positive things that I look for in someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment