Saturday, February 25, 2012

A Day To Remember


            The memoir “A Day To Remember” is written by a 12 year old from Illinois, named Ivory B. Out of the ones I read, this one appealed to me the most because I like roller coasters however, let me just say that this blog will not be a heartfelt encomium for the little youngster here. This memoir was very boring when it comes to writing style.
         When I read it from a reader’s point of view I kind of understood what he was talking about and I could relate to it because I too really enjoy the amusement park. I could also agree with his pejorative remark that waiting in long lines was no fun at all. However, this memoir was so general that a day like this happened to me as well.
         When I read the memoir from a writer’s point of view I would probably sort this into a “story” rather than a “memoir”. He is lacking the essentials to a memoir. First off, the story in itself was boring and the character showed no development throughout the story. The reason for this was most likely because there was no dialogue in it.
         Another reason why it isn’t a well-written memoir because although Ivory tells the reader how he was feeling at the time and what happened, he doesn’t reflect on it in any way. While I was reading the memoir I knew that the story wasn’t going anywhere. There was no moral to the story, I kind of just ended.
         If I were proof reading this memoir I bet for every paragraph I would make a note to “Show, don’t tell”. For example, in the last paragraph he tells us that he is “sad” he is leaving. He could have used a variety of words like brokenhearted, gloomy, low-spirited, or melancholy.

No comments:

Post a Comment